Thursday, May 18, 2017

Some of My Favorite Chris Cornell Songs

Chris Cornell, 1964-2017

Maybe it's a good thing that I am tremendously busy, and haven't really had time today to dwell on the death by suicide of Chris Cornell... nor do I have time to give the man a proper eulogy right now. Instead, below are seven songs in alphabetical order (mostly Soundgarden) that I think exemplify the qualities that made him one of the most talented and unique musicians that lived within my lifetime. There was no one on the planet who had his combination of raw, natural talent and pure inventiveness, and it's just shocking and saddening that it's over now. Rest in peace.

Black Hole Sun


Burden In My Hand


Hunger Strike


Outshined


Pretty Noose


Rusty Cage


Spoonman

2 comments:

Kristimaree said...

Oooh, I'm a huge Rusty Cage fan. Reach Down is another one. Room a Thousand Years Wide is haunting. Let Me Drown, geez, I guess I love them all, really. RIP Chris Cornell.

Zak Claxton said...

@Kristimaree, it's impossible to really pick and choose. There are plenty more I could have included... "Fell On Black Days", "Can't Change Me", "Jesus Christ Pose", "Big Dumb Sex", "Like Suicide"... basically all of them. Musically, I didn't vibe with Audioslave as much as I did with SG and his solo work, but I still appreciate everything he did.