Monday, April 17, 2017

My Pal Foot Foot (04.17.17)


I think there's a saying about things having to get worse before they get better. It sounds like complete bullshit to me, but there is at least one situation in life that many people go through in which it's undeniably true, and that's having a medical procedure that hurts, with the knowledge that it's going to make things better in the long run.

Speaking of "run" that's something that's off my list of things to do for the moment, along with "walk without limping" and "stand without leaning" and "showering with both feet in the tub" and so on. I'll stop complaining vaguely now and tell you that on Friday morning, I had some minor outpatient surgery on my right foot. It was for a fairly common ailment that, while not serious, had been bothering me for something like six months, and it's something that I'll be really, really glad to have out of my life entirely.

But it doesn't really work like that, at least right away. You have to get past the trauma of having a scalpel shoved into you first. So, I've spent the subsequent three days complaining about it to anyone within earshot. And honestly, try doing ordinary things but keeping all of your weight -- in my case, about 180 pounds -- on one leg. It gets old, fast.

On a related note, my experience with the podiatrist I saw was great. She was super friendly, kept me at ease, and there was very little pain while she did the surgery. I see her again on Wednesday morning, when I finally can have this collection of bandages removed from my foot, and assuming all has gone per the plan, things should start getting better quickly after that. I'm really looking forward to little stuff like being able to take a proper shower (I can't get the surgical site wet, so it's been these half-assed showering sessions with only one leg in the tub, so I am being very literal about the phrase "half-assed" in this case). I'm also looking forward to walking and standing with equal weight on both feet. I'm really, really looking forward to doing my morning workout without favoring one leg, something that's plagued me since Thanksgiving or so.

All things considered, I have a lot to look forward to and am feeling pretty optimistic about that. The challenge, as it often is for me and many people, is being patient while the foot heals. I'm a guy who truly enjoys his mundane routine, and even something as small as this throws me off a lot. Can't shower, can't drive my son to school, can't walk without limping, can't exercise... but it's all short term, and hopefully in another week, I'll be back to my normal active self.

No comments: