Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Back Room's Halloween Spooktacular (10.17.16)

Getting spooky at Sassy's Back Room. Photo by Kat.

I play so rarely in Second Life these days that it's always a fun and exciting event when I do get in world and rock. When it's at a themed event put on by my friend and fellow musician Sassy Nitely (aka Barbie Horsley), there's no way it could go wrong. And, as a result, last night's show was as fun as I'd hoped it would be, and then some.

I arrived to find the place really decked out in the Halloween spirit. The event had started at 6PM, with Sassy herself performing, followed by Zach Cale, Dirtydee Sweetwater, and then Savannah Rain, who was performing when I arrived. I was followed by Lyndon Heart who, like me, kept inadvertently calling the venue by the wrong name, like "The Back Door" or "The Back Yard", because we were seemingly situated literally at the back door to the back yard of the place. Regardless of that ongoing faux pas, the stage and surrounding areas looked completely awesome, and the idea of having the stage set on the porch was brilliant. Hats off to Sassy and friends for the great design.

I should mention that I LOVE half-hour (as opposed to full hour) shows. Granted, it curtails my choices for songs, and limits the amount of interaction that I normally like to do with my audience. But just getting up and rocking with almost no room for filler is a fun experience, and I always enjoy playing events like this.

Count Zakula strikes again. Photo by Kat.

Fun crowd, good show, happy me. Photo by Kat.

A funny side note. I try and pick out my scarier songs when I play Halloween shows, because... duh. So, as I was looking down the list of songs by my band They Stole My Crayon, I had to laugh; almost all of them are unsettling enough to be featured in a Halloween set, which should tell us something.

The Back Room set list...
Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
Blew The Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
People are Strange (The Doors)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
Sleeper in the Valley (Laura Veirs)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Things Under Trees (They Stole My Crayon)

Massive thanks to all who came out and hung around in Sassy's spooky spot for my show! Special thanks to the following people who helped support it.
TheaDee Resident, Triana Caldera, Zach Cale, Kat Claxton, Sesh Kamachi, Tyche Szondi, my excellent manager Maali Beck, and of course the lovely owner of The Back Room, Sassy Nitely!

No comments: