Thursday, January 28, 2016

Key West (01.27.16)


Hi there. Yes, I missed you too. And frankly, I hadn't expected to be writing a post about a Second Life live music performance for awhile longer. As some of you know, just last week, I'd been working at the NAMM Show, a big trade convention for the industry in which I work. It's pretty typical for me to be either sick or completely without a voice for a week or so following NAMM, but for whatever combination of lucky reasons, just a few days afterwards I was feeling good enough to perform music.

But I still didn't have a show scheduled until February 6, so the point was moot until yesterday morning, when my manager Maali Beck pinged me on Facebook.

"Hey Zak, want to gig at Key West tonight night at 6 pm?"



It's always obvious when one is being solicited for a show as a fill-in for someone else. No one with the organization skills of Key West owner Liz Harley waits until the day of an event to book her talent. That having been said, it took me roughly three-tenths of a second to tell Maali that I was indeed interested in performing. For years, Key West has been one of my favorite places to play in SL, and remains so today. I quickly sent out some notices to people that - surprise! - I'd be doing a show that evening, and later spent some quality time with my guitar that had sat dormant for far too long while I was immersed in my business activities.

Photos by Kat.



One thing that was clear to me; it was my first show since a large batch of musical heroes, some very important to me, had passed on. Without wanting it to be any kind of morbid affair (my shows are fun, dammit), I couldn't do the show without giving some kind of acknowledgement to those recently-deceased musicians. I think it went really well, and my audience seemed to agree. Bowie has always been a regular in my set list, but I enjoyed doing the Glenn Frey-penned Eagles tune, and any opportunity to play "Ace of Spades" is welcomed.

Key West set list...
*Airport Bar (Martin Courtney)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
*Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Blew The Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
Pretty Pimpin (Kurt Vile)
Perfect Day (Lou Reed)
Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Bag of Nothing (They Stole My Crayon)
*Ace of Spades (Motorhead)
Pancho & Lefty (Townes van Zandt)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Massive thanks to everyone who came out to see me at Key West, particularly the following who helped support my show!
Triana Caldera, hildegard269 Resident, RoxxyyRoller Resident, Diana Renoir, BruceCampball Resident, Jenna Dirval, GMetal Svartur, madison252 Resident, Christine Haiku, Sesh Kamachi, Mulder Watts, TheaDee Resident, Alyss Whitewood, Kat Claxton, Aurelie Chenaux, RansomTalmidge Resident, my terrific manager Maali Beck, Key West host Tommi Bayn, and owner Liz Harley!

No comments: