Sunday, June 7, 2015

DB Club and Dance (06.06.15)


It's the day after my birthday, and the day after Kat's birthday. Yes, for those of you who don't know, we share a birthday (though not the same one; I was born a year before her). We both agree that we had a good birthday (with one significant exception which I'll mention below). In my many years on this little planet, I don't believe I'd ever previously played a live show on the actual day of my birthday, though looking back through the archives of this very blog, you cam see I've played many times on the day before or day after. That irrelevant fact notwithstanding, I had a show scheduled by my manager Maali at a new venue in SL, a place called DB Club and Dance, and birthday or no, I always honor my commitments to perform. Besides, I love doing those noon shows on Saturdays... wake up, enjoy coffee and breakfast, get warmed up and play a show, and still have the whole day ahead. It is, in a word, awesome.

As usual, I arrived at the venue about 20 minutes before my show, giving myself plenty of time to set up and do some last-minute notifications to people who might want to come check it out. The people who ran the club, Deno and Linnea, seemed very nice. I'm not sure where they're from, but while English may not have been their first language, we all spoke the language of fun. They seemed to have a good time, and we pulled together a pretty nice-sized crowd considering that I was that only live music artist appearing there that day. Linnea seemed somewhat apologetic before the show began in regard to them being a brand new place who didn't have a big crowd to pull in. I told her that I would be happy to play no matter if there were four or forty people there. It all worked out just fine, as things almost always do.

All photos by Kat.





DB Club set list...
Pigs on the Wing - Parts I and II (Pink Floyd)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Help me (Joni Mitchell)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
America (Simon & Garfunkel)
Blew The Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
Shock the Monkey (Peter Gabriel)
Fire and Rain (James Taylor)
Carry Me Here and There (They Stole My Crayon)
Say Goodbye (Beck)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Polly (Nirvana)
Everlong (Foo Fighters)

Big thanks to everyone who saw my debut at DB, especially those who helped support the show!
MaximilnSwann Resident, Serenti Resident, Kat Claxton, Gaia74 Resident, Alexis Fairlady, TheaDee Resident, RansomTalmidge Resident, my manager Maal Beck, and DB management LinneaSydney Resident and Deno Bury!



My Finger Meets the Window
So, that was fun. One other thing to report from yesterday was less fun. I was walking by the open window in my bedroom in the early evening, and it was getting a little chilly, so I did something I've done hundreds of times before... I closed the window. However, it didn't go as planned. I somehow wedged the nail of my index finger into the window frame, which proceeded to tear half the nail off my hand. Yeah, ow, big time. Kat came in to find me in a fetal position with my hand tucked under my other arm. After re-learning how to breathe and stuff, I gingerly held it up to my camera while Kat assembled some first aid treatment. Pretty, huh?


The upshot of this is that it's going to be a little while before I play guitar again. Putting the necessary pressure on the finger to properly fret a note or chord is impossible right now. However, I'm a resilient guy as well as an optimist. I estimate that this will be mostly healed in a few days, so it won't affect my live show schedule (my next one isn't until Monday June 15), and I'll just have to wait before recording any more guitar tracks for The Crayon until at least next weekend. There are other things I can do in the meantime.

Despite that little setback, it was a great birthday, and we ended the day by cramming as much sushi as possible into our mouths. I could complain about my painful finger injury, but instead I'll dwell on the deliciousness of a fun live show and perfectly-prepared raw fish, because that's just the kind of person I am.

No comments: