Saturday, May 16, 2015

Hesperia of Templemore (05.16.15)


The very first thing I noticed today when I arrived at Hesperia of Templemore was that I was not alone. Far from it. Instead of the mostly empty room that we musicians are usually greeted with when they're scheduled to be the first performer in a series of artists, I noted a number of avatars already there. And then, as things rezzed, I saw someone onstage. It was Mimi Carpenter! I was quite happy to unexpectedly find that a really enjoyable performer was already there; the last schedule I saw didn't show Mimi, and it's always a pleasure to hear her, and to have a small but happy built-in crowd before I got going.

A few notes about my show. First, I did a Simon and Garfunkel tune that I can't imagine why I didn't do previously. It's a great tune and it went really well. Second, I once again devoted a couple of songs to the music of my band, They Stole My Crayon. Those went well too. In fact, I think the whole show was pretty smooth. Temple more is great on several levels... first of all, the incredibly creative stage spaces they have there so that I never feel like I've played the same venue twice. Probably more important is that it's run by people I consider close friends (like Luis Lockjaw and Sassy Nitely), and the resulting mood is always fantastic. Speaking of Sassy, she had the slot after me, and was totally killing her set which I'd have stayed around for longer had SL not booted my ass out unexpectedly. Ah well. It was fun while it lasted.

What's going on here? Well, today's Templemore stage theme was kind of an evil circus tent. And of course, with two open trapezes behind me, leave it to Sassy and Luis to jump on and turn my show into even more of a circus than usual. Love them both. Photo and top photo courtesy of Thea Dee.

I suppose every clown needs some acrobats. Photo by Thea Dee.

Templemore set list...
On a Plain (Nirvana)
California (Joni Mitchell)
*America (Simon and Garfunkel)
Waking Light (Beck)
Blew The Dust Away (They Stole My Crayon)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
A Day In The Life (Beatles)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
What I Got (Sublime)
Carry Me Here and There (They Stole My Crayon)
Swing Lo Magellan (Dirty Projectors)
Shame Chamber (Kurt Vile)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Huge thanks to all who came out to my show today, especially the following who helped support it!
Mimi Carpenter, Blindboy Gumbo, Diana Renoir, Aurelie Chenaux, TheaDee Resident, my lovely manager Maali Beck, and Templemore's Bee Blackrain, Sassy Nitely, and Luis Lockjaw!

No comments: