Friday, March 14, 2014

Crystal Gardens City (03.13.14)


Happy Pi Day. I'm convinced that in the future, every single day of the year will be some sort of manufactured holiday. I'm not at all kidding. This is my dystopian vision. At one point, of course, there were no holidays. Then someone started noting the day that a new year began. Then some pagans made some holidays around the time of harvesting crops. And then other religions started getting in on the party action. Then countries and governments started noting days of their independence, days to commemorate and memorialize certain people and events, and more. Then people started coming up with their own cute reasons to celebrate various things including everything from talking like a pirate to planting trees to waving flags, and... well, happy Pi Day.

Maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood, and I do have something to blame. For some reason, the start of Daylight Savings Time completely screwed up my sleep patterns this year, and the entire week has been like a jog through molasses. One of the few highlights of the week was last night's show at Crystal Gardens City in SL. Every other Thursday, I'm on a regular lineup there that includes Mark Allan Jensen at 4PM, my show at 5PM, and then FrankLee Anatra at 6PM. It's a good blend of sounds and repertoire between the three of us, and the shows have been well attended and fun.

I might be the least consistent crowd-draw in SL. Sometimes I get big crowds, sometimes small crowds, with no rhyme or reason for the fluctuations. I play the same regardless. Photo and top photo by Kat.

A good night at Crystal Gardens City always inspires me to play as well as I can. Photo by Kat.

Unlike previous recent shows at the City, I managed not to fall off the stage. Bonus! Photo by Kat.

Last night, I didn't have any kind of theme in mind. However, my real life job of marketing communications for the music/audio business had me doing some recent promotion for Neil Young's very cool new Pono Music system, and perhaps that lingered in my head a bit, since I ended up doing several of Old Neil's songs in my set.

Crystal Gardens City set list...
Say Goodbye (Beck)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Doin' Time (Sublime)
Expecting to Fly (Buffalo Springfield)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
*#9 Dream (John Lennon)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Jane (Barenaked Ladies)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Thanks to all who came out to my show at Crystal Gardens, including the following who helped support it!
Diana Renoir, MAJJackSlade, Kat Claxton, TheaDee, Rina Miles, Aurelie Chenaux, Allegra Genira, my manager Maali Beck, and CGC owners Sandi and Mikal Beaumont!

No comments: