Friday, February 14, 2014

Crystal Gardens City (02.13.14)


Some people may wonder why I write a little report like this after every single show I do. No one's ever asked me directly, but I do assume that some people might question the need to do this little write up time and time again. And really, the answer is simple: there is no need. I don't know anyone else who documents every damn music performance they do. Is it ego? Is it for further promotion of my musical career? No, not really. I think more than anything, I'm a documentarian kind of guy, and I enjoy having this record of the things I've done. It's come in handy a number of times, referring back to songs I've played at various places, or my experience at different venues. But mostly, it's just a diary where I can make sure that the memories I have of being a live musician remain intact.

In any case, last night's show at Crystal Gardens City was, as usual, a fun one. The fun started well before I'd played a note; SL was being laggy (I know, can you imagine?), and I was having some issues moving my avatar around. The result was that while setting up, I managed to fall off the stage. I performed my first song standing among my audience, then got back onstage. Then I tried to adjust my position and fell off again. Then I got back up. At that point, I couldn't blame Sandi and Rina for positioning a trampoline directly in front of the stage, to bounce me back up if I continued this idiocy. Fortunately, I decided not to move my avvie again, and all was well.

We had a decent crowd, and a good number of folks hung out after Mark Allen Jensen's show that preceded mine. I'd heard Mark's name before but hadn't had a chance to hear him perform until last night. Very talented guy! As usual at Crystal Gardens, Sandi and Mikal were excellent hosts, and I had a very good time playing. I think the crowd enjoyed it too, so all is good.

Rocking in the virtual world. Photo and top photo by Kat.

I love the unique grunginess of this place. Photo by Kat.

The crowd enjoys the show. Photo by Kat.

My avatar seems to be having a good time. Photo by Kat.

Crystal Gardens City set list...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Desire Lines (Deerhunter)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
I've Been Waiting for You (Neil Young)
A Day in the Life (Beatles)
Wonderwall (Oasis)
Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)
For the Turnstiles (Neil Young)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Loser (Beck)
Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens)

Big thanks to every single person at Crystal Gardens City last night, especially the following who helped support my show!
Aubreya Joszpe, Allegra Genira, Wendy Swenson, Kat Claxton, Harry Wheeler, Aurelie Chenaux, MAJJackSlade, Blues Heron, my manager Maali Beck, and CGC owners Sandi and Mikal Beaumont!

No comments: