Saturday, January 4, 2014

Key West (01.03.14)


On Friday afternoon, I was having a typical kind of day, doing some work and be-bopping around various social networks (which, I should add, is also part of my work). I knew that later in the day, I'd be performing at the completely redesigned Key West in Second Life. However, I didn't know any other details until Liz Harley put up a Facebook post about the evening's lineup. I was starting the night off at 5PM, but next up were Max Kleene, Bat Masters, and Voodoo Shilton. In addition to being friends, those guys are among the most respected performers in SL, and all of a sudden I knew that it was going to be a really special night of live music.

Before I say anything else, I want to say that the new Key West looks fucking amazing. I mean, I've seen plenty of great SL builds, but the vast improvement over the former marina is jaw dropping, even though the old place was just fine. The textures, the lighting, the overall vibe is incredible. Hats off to Liz and the designers/builders with whom she worked to create the new place, because it's probably the most impressive-looking live venue I've seen to date.

How's this for great scenery while you experience live music? Photo and top photo by Kat.

As usual at Key West, we had a pretty good crowd right from the get-go. Photo by Kat.

The entire vibe of the new Key West is fantastic. Photo by Kat.

Plenty of space for seating or dancing, but not so huge that everything is spaced too far apart. Love it. Photo by Kat.

A view from the top, through the trellis over the stage. Photo by Kat.

I usually don't post shots of me, but I do seem to be enjoying myself here. Photo by Kat.

The show was fantastic. Despite being on at the 5PM time slot (notoriously packed with shows, and therefore sometimes difficult to draw a good-sized crowd), in typical Key West fashion my show pulled in a really good-sized audience almost from the start. Then, when Max's crowd began filling the place during the last half of my set, it felt great to be doing tunes for close to 50 folks on a Friday evening. All in all, it really couldn't have gone better.

Key West set list...
All I Want (Joni Mitchell)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Frigid Spring (Chairlift)
Swing Lo Magellan (Dirty Projectors)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
Northern Sky (Nick Drake)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
*Birds (Neil Young)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
*The Humans Are Dead (Flight of the Conchords)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)
Carolina In My Mind (James Taylor)
Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Congrats to Liz Harley on the fantastic new Key West build, and thanks to everyone who helped support my show!
Solange Cliassi, Maximillion Kleene, Lyn Carlberg, Vante Cascarino, TheaDee, aramanca, Alexis Fairlady, NeCole Chiantelle, Clem Yates, Rusty Seisenbacher, Aurelie Chenaux, Kat Claxton, Soulsykk Summers, Richy Nervous, Diana Renoir, my wonderful manager Maali Beck, and Key West owner Liz Harley!

No comments: