Friday, January 17, 2014

Crystal Gardens City (01.16.14)


Do you have the time to listen to me whine?

Well, I'm going to regardless. I'm getting ready for a huge business event (yeah, the NAMM Show, which most musicians understand is a Big Thing), and I've literally been working 16-hour days for weeks on end. So, I have an excuse as to why my brain seemed to take a little vacation during my show last night at Crystal Gardens City.

Don't get me wrong; it was an entirely fun show, and though our crowd was small, they made up for it in the cool factor. One particular moment that I'd like to document was my haunted harmonica. Here's what happened: I'd played my harmonica while warming up, and all was well. However, while practicing, I decided to try out a different harmonica on another song than the one I ended up doing. Fast forward to me a little while later, playing the opening of Neil Young's "Heart of Gold". You guessed it; I'd left the wrong harp in the holder, and boy, was that a weird moment when I began playing and every note that came out was wrong in a big way. I almost never, ever stop a song once I start, but I put the brakes on that shit so fast that my metaphorical tires were smoking.

Anyway, that, along with some moments of forgetting my own lyrics and then laughing through half a song, made it a memorable night, and a good way to wrap up my shows before my annual business-forced hiatus. I'll be back performing in SL on January 30, once again at Crystal Gardens. We'll see if I can do 13 songs without losing my shit next time.


Some of my most fun shows aren't necessarily my most musically impressive ones. Photo and top photo by Kat.

Crystal Gardens set list...
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
*I Feel The Earth Move (Carole King)
Norwegian Wood (Beatles)
Birds (Neil Young)
Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
Pulling Mussels from a Shell (Squeeze)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (The Police)
After the Goldrush (Neil Young)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Many thans to all who supported my show. You rule!
Scarlette Vendetta, TheaDee, Triana Caldera, Cicadetta Stillwater, Aurelie Chenaux, Kiki Szetey, Kat Claxton, and Crystal Gardens owners Sandi and Mikal Beaumont!

No comments: