Monday, September 30, 2013

ROMA (09.29.13)


I'm pretty much in Total Musical Immersion heaven. Apart from the moments I've been preoccupied with such mundane things as working, parenting, eating, and occasionally sleeping, I've been awash in a plethora of sonic perspicuity. After two shows in Second Life last week, my lady Kat Claxton and great friend Bunny Knutson (aka my bandmates in They Stole My Crayon) trekked up to Hollywood to see Unknown Mortal Orchestra at the Troubadour. It was an amazing and memorable night. After taking all of Saturday to recuperate (as you need to do when you spend a rare night out on the town in your forties), I had an early afternoon show on Sunday at ROMA.

Photo and top photo by Kat.

Photo by Kat.

ROMA is great. I only play there when they have a special event, usually based on seasonal feasts. As I've explained several times before, the entire group of sims is a role-playing experience based on ancient Rome, and in both language and apparel, they take it pretty seriously, But they also know how to have fun, and they're always a very appreciative crowd there.

Photo by Kat.

Photo by Kat.

Since Kat and I had just been to the Troubadour, I was on a bit of a history kick about that famous venue, and watched a PBS special about the club's connection to the careers of James Taylor and Carole King. As a result, my set was mostly based on a theme of singer-songwriters who'd performed there over the years (along with my own originals, as usual). It also gave me the opportunity to whip out a few songs I'd never played before. I'm also apparently closing all of my shows (the last three of them, anyway) with a Cat Stevens song I find good for that purpose.

ROMA set list...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
California (Joni Mitchell)
Always Tomorrow (Zak Claxton)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
You've Got A Friend (Carole King)
*Mexico (James Taylor)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
Old Man (Neil Young)
*Opposite of Afternoon (Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
*Rubbing It Out (They Stole My Crayon)
Frigid Spring (Chairlift)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
Tea for the Tillerman (Cat Stevens)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Big thanks to everyone in the ROMA community for bringing me back to entertain you, especially those who helped support the show!
Angelia Rees, Barbara Mixemup, Rusty Seisenbacher, Ulysse Alexandre, Melanippe Karas, Diana Renoir, colbymartin Constantine, Tonina Rodenberger, Stella Orchid, Alekso Minotaur, kkadora, Celeste Ewing, Kat Claxton, and my manager (and ROMA member) Maali Beck!

No comments: