Monday, April 22, 2013

Boom Pony Beach (04.21.13)


Before I say anything about my show yesterday at the Boom Pony Beach in Second Life, I want to tip my hat to my fans. There aren't a lot of them, at least not the hardcore ones who have come to show after show after show. Some of them have seen the majority of my performances almost since the get-go in 2006. I owe them all much more than I can express here. One thing that I feel that those poor Zaksters have to put up with is the fact that by nature of being on a never-ending tour of the virtual world, I play the same songs pretty often. And of course, I have to hear myself playing those same tunes as well. Despite the fact that I have hundreds of songs in my repertoire between originals and covers, I occasionally get the feeling that we've all heard each of them about three too many times.

So, I'm on a mission to bring in more new material, and that started at the Boom yesterday. I pulled out five covers I hadn't played before, and in subsequent shows, I'll be continuing to add to the list of new tunes. Also, given my connections to the city of Boston, I felt like I should take the opportunity to do a couple of tunes in tribute to that great city. The show itself went very well. We had a good-sized crowd from the get-go, and I was feeling good (which is generally important to my ability to be entertaining). Kiran Sporg and Andi Karsin, who own and run the Boom, are really cool people, and I enjoyed being able to rock their beach on a nice Sunday afternoon.


One thing about playing new stuff: you have no idea how well it will go. That adds to the excitement as a performer. I've also found audiences really don't mind being guinea pigs for song debuts. Photo by Kat.



Sweet Caroline (bom bom bom)! Photo by Kat.


Boom Pony Beach Set List...
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
*Long Time Gone (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
Theme from Cheers (Gary Portnoy)
Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond)
*Our Lips Are Sealed (The Go-Go's)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
One (U2)
Things Behind the Sun (Nick Drake)
Mother (Pink Floyd)
*Angry Chair (Alice In Chains)
*Here Comes the Rain Again (Eurythmics)
*Is She Really Going Out With Him (Joe Jackson)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Thanks to the great friends and fans who enjoyed new tunes on the beach at the Boom, especially the following who supported my show!
anjali Insoo, Triana Caldera, LilyKierkegard, Kiki Szetey, TheaDee, TheVeryFirst, Kat Claxton, Aurelie Chenaux, Blindboy Gumbo, Selene Setsuko, my manager Maali Beck, and lovely ladies of the Boom, Kiran Sporg and Andi Karsin!

No comments: