Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Whisky A Go Go in Second Life (11.27.12)


Successfully running a live music venue is hard. I don't care if it's real life, Second Life, or any life for that matter. It's hard if you want it to work well, and when you see venues that have lasted a long time, there's a lot more than luck involved. What is involved is a ton of work and commitment and organization, and it never eases up.

I've been fortunate to have had a regular weekly show at the Whisky in SL for about five straight months. Most musicians -- self included -- like having a place to perform that feels like home, and after playing at a venue over 20 times, I certainly am comfortable at the Whisky. Like many well-run places, the Whisky has benefitted from a good owner and good staff, but the fact is that real life can definitely be a detriment to your not-so-real life. When a person needs to choose priorities, Second Life almost always takes a back seat to things that are important in the fleshy world. And it should, in my opinion.

Rocking the Whisky has been great, week after week, but it's time for a break and some new adventures for me and my Zaksters. Photo and top photo by Cicadetta Stillwater. Thanks Cica!

In any case, last night's show at the Whisky turned out to be really good, but it might be my last one there for awhile. It's been difficult for the folks who run it to do just that. Their real life jobs and schedules have made operating the place difficult, and it's probably time to take a break there until they figure out what path they want to take. That's fine; as I said, it's been great playing there, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't more Zak Shows there in the future, once they get things straightened out.

For what was probably my last Whisky show for awhile, I pulled out an array of tunes that left me a panting, sweaty mess at the end (and turned my vocal chords into shards of broken glass in the process), but was a ton of fun. It was certainly fun for me, and I think the crowd would also say it was an enjoyable experience.

Whisky Set List...
A Day In The Life (Beatles)
Sour Girl (Stone Temple Pilots)
Day After Day (Badfinger)
About a Girl (Nirvana)
Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)
Fuck You (Cee Lo Green)
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
A Million Miles Away (The Plimsouls)
Goodbye Blue Sky (Pink Floyd)
For the Turnstiles (Neil Young)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
In My Time of Dying (Traditional)

Big thanks to the Zaksters and other folks who supported this show. I couldn't do it without you!
AlexEscapade, Rusty Seisenbacher, Amrynn, TheaDee, Cicadetta Stillwater, Shannyn Fall, and my great manager Maali Beck!

No comments: