Thursday, June 7, 2012

Whisky A Go Go in SL (06.05.12)



Those of you who've read this blog for awhile know that I always welcome opportunities to perform at places that are new to me. There are numerous reasons for this; the obvious one is that people tend to hang out at certain venues in SL, and if you dont play there, chances are high they might never see you. Makes sense. But on a more nebulous basis, I tend to pull out songs that seem appropriate for each particular place and its crowd, so every new place I play allows me to refocus my repertoire in ways that keep me from getting bored.

All this is good, and so was my first show at the Whisky A Go Go in Second Life. For over a year, I'd been chatting with the owner of the place, Cameron Trenchcoat, about playing one of his places in SL. Due to scheduling conflicts and so on, we never were able to get it together, so I was particularly happy when my manager Maali Beck worked out a deal with him for me to play the Whisky. The place is a very cool build because both inside and out, it very much resembles the real world-famous Whisky, a club in Hollywood, CA. It's always a cool experience when you go somewhere in SL that is based on a real-life location, especially when the builder has obviously gone through efforts to impart the vibe of the location. The Whisky definitely qualifies as such; having been in there many times, I felt like I was right there on Sunset Boulevard when I got onstage in SL.

As per above, I chose a set list that paid homage to the famous era of the real-life Whisky back in the late '60s, and also pulled out a few new tunes as I like to do whenever possible. It felt like a good smattering of original and cover tunes. I'll likely be taking a similar approach for my next shows at the Whisky; I'm slated to perform there every Tuesday evening in June, so if you missed the first one, there are plenty of others you'll be able to catch!


Nice seeing my name on top of the marquee at this world-famous club, albeit the digital version. Photo courtesy of Cameron Trenchcoat.



Rocking the Whisky. Photo by Kat.



People seem to be having fun. Photo by Kat.



Looking forward to my next show at the Whisky! Photo by Kat.


Whisky Set List...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
*If It Makes You Happy (Sheryl Crow)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
*Save Me (Aimee Mann)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Alabama Song (The Doors)
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
Welcome to the Machine (Pink Floyd)
Oh Susannah (Traditional, arranged by Zak Claxton)
Thank You (Led Zeppelin)
*I Like You (Zak Claxton)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.

Huge thanks to everyone who came to my first show at the Whisky in SL, especially those who helped support it!
Triana Caldera, TheaDee, Kat Claxton, GMetal Svartur, ThisisCin, Jenna Dirval, Annan Dreamscape, Rollin Petrolhead, my great manager Maali Beck, and Whisky owner Cameron Trenchcoat!

No comments: