Friday, May 11, 2012

Molaskey's Pub (05.10.12)


While my first show back after my six-week illness hiatus was on April 26, and my second show was on April 29, both of those shows were special fundraising events, and both had me being tentative about my singing voice. Last night at Molaskey's Pub in Second Life was the first show back where a) it was a regular old Zak Show, and b) I felt confident enough to tackle more of my typical repertoire.

As is typical for any weeknight show at 6PM, it's not easy to scare up a crowd. But as usual at Molaskey's, by the time I was a couple of tunes in, we had a nice-sized audience of fun and cool people. I felt great; it had been way too long since I was able to do a performance that I was really happy with, and everything really came together well. Also, it had been way too long since I was able to do some of my own tunes in my higher singing register, so pulling out songs like "Broken Day" and "Perfect Girl" for the first time in a couple of months really made me appreciate being able to sing again.

I finally remembered to put on my SL harmonica that Kat bought for me. Getting even closer to reality. Photo by Kat.


Molaskey's is such a great place to put on a show, for performers and audiences alike. Photo by Kat.


Speaking of songs, I also did a couple of premieres: it was the first time ever that I did my arrangement of "Oh Susannah" live, and I followed it with a Zeppelin song that I'd never bothered even learning until a couple of nights ago.

Molaskey's Pub Set List...
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
California (Joni Mitchell)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
*Oh Susannah (Traditional; arr, by Zak Claxton)
*Friends (Led Zeppelin)
Shine (Zak Claxton)
I Am A Child (Neil Young)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
You've Got To Hide your Love Away (Beatles)
The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
Tribute (Tenacious D)

*Indicates my first-ever performance of this song in SL.

Massive thanks to all who came out to the show, especially those who helped support it!
Phobe Cazalet, Kat Claxton, Sesh Kamachi, Magnalov, Diana Renoir, Christine Haiku, TheaDee, Thinkerer Melville, Molaskey's terrific hostess team of Stace Silvercloud, Mia Kitchensink, and Cicadetta Stillwater, my manager Maali Beck, and Molaskey's owner Katydid Something!

No comments: