Friday, March 16, 2012

Molaskey's Pub w/Lyndon Heart (03.15.12)


I was so glad to be able to do my show along with my buddy, fellow musician Lyndon Heart, at Molaskey's Pub in Second Life last night. I mean, I'm always happy to be able to have fun with a terrific musician in front of a cool crowd, but yesterday's show was particularly needed. Here's why: my 12-year-old son has been feeling ill for the past few days, and yesterday morning, it got to the point that a doctor was necessary. The poor little dude had already been running a high fever, but then started throwing up anything that went into him. It wasn't good.

So, while one is never happy to hear a doctor say that your kid was confirmed as having Influenza type A, it was good to get a diagnosis and having him start getting treated properly. However, in addition to several medications there were able to fill at the doctor's office, they also prescribed him an antiviral drug called Tamiflu. Since my son doesn't do very well taking pills, they wrote the script for a suspension. Well, I spent the subsequent four hours running all over town from pharmacy to pharmacy, and hearing the same thing everywhere: we don't have any, and it'll take a couple of days for us to get it in if we order it. I obviously didn't have two days to wait; the kid's temperature spiked to almost 104ยบ the other day. Fortunately, I got referred to a cool little pharmacy by a local hospital where they actually compound their own medications on site. Hats off to Choice Compounding Pharmacy in Torrance, who mixed me up a batch of suspension Tamiflu in no time flat. They seemed to be very nice folks there as well, and it was much less impersonal than a typical pharmacy around here. My son is already starting to feel a lot better, which in turn makes me feel a lot better.

Lyndon gets into the jams while I yelp vocals. Photo by Kat.


Ah, Molaskey's. You always bring the fun. Photo by Kat.


Back on topic: all that craziness had just finally mellowed out before I cruised over to Molaskey's for my show, and I think I was a little delirious with relief by that point. We have a formula that works well when Lyndon and I are performing together; I play my own stuff from 6:00 to 6:45, and then Lyndon and I play together between 6:45-7:15. After that, Lyndon fills out the hour with his own solo set. Last night went well in that regard, though there were a few people who were having difficulties with the audio stream. The technology that allows two guys who live 1,000 miles away from each other to jam together for a remote audience in real time is amazing, but it's also fickle. Sometimes it just doesn't work right. But most of the folks there were able to hear the show properly.

Molaskey's Set List...

Solo Set:
1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
I've Been Waiting for You (Neil Young)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Any Major Dude (Steely Dan)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Black Peter (Grateful Dead)
The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)
Let's Pretend that Everything's Okay (Zak Claxton)

With Lyndon:
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
Everyday I Write the Book (Elvis Costello)
Love Hurts (Everly Brothers)
Down By The River (Neil Young)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (The Beatles)
With a Little Help from my Friends (The Beatles)

Massive thanks to everyone who came out to see Lyndon and I, especially those who helped support my show!
Thadicus Caligari, EvaMoon Ember, Kat Claxton, Diana Renoir, TheaDee, Chestnut Rau, Lyndon's and my manager Maali Beck, Molaskey's great hostesses Cicadetta Stillwater and Mia Kitchensink, and most of all Molaskey's owner Katydid Something!

No comments: