Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Crystal Gardens (09.27.11)


Yup, it's been a bit of a Zak Show marathon lately. While some folks are fine doing several Second Life shows every day, it's a rare week for me where I'm doing more than a couple shows over seven days. But recently, I played on Thursday 9/22, Saturday 9/24, Sunday 9/25, and then last night (9/27) I did my bi-weekly show at Crystal Gardens.

There was, in fact, something special happening at my show: the people from The Stream Scene, an online TV show that focuses on the SL music scene, had asked if they could come out and record me at a venue, and I was all too happy to oblige. I did an episode of The Stream Scene in 2010, and it's always nice to get the benefit of promoting your music to folks who might not have otherwise heard it (or heard of you at all, for that matter). So, for the first half of the show at Crystal Gardens, I played only my original songs so they'd have plenty to choose from when it came time to edit the footage.

Knowing I'd be on TV, I even put on a nicer shirt than usual. You don't want to watch the show a month later and grimace at your wardrobe choice. Photo by Kat.


Anyway, the show went fine, and it's a good thing it did; I realized soon after it ended that I was coming down with the cold my son's had for the last few days, and as of this morning, I couldn't sing anything other than a frog opera. Fortunately, I have no shows booked for about ten days, so I have plenty of time to get healthy. Back at Crystal Gardens, for the latter part of my show when I switched back to doing covers, I pulled out a few rarities, just for fun.

Crystal Gardens Set List...
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Change (Tears for Fears)
†Jack Straw (Grateful Dead)
††Love Ain't for Keeping (The Who)
Any Major Dude (Steely Dan)
Love Hurts (Everly Brothers)
Comes a Time (Neil Young)
Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)

†My last performance of "Jack Straw" was on Nov 30, 2009. Before that was Sep 29, 2008.
††I've only done "Love Ain't for Keeping" once before, on January 2 of this year.

Thanks to the people who helped support my show, especially Sandi and Mikal of Crystal Gardens and Twstd Ruggles of The Stream Scene!

No comments: