Sunday, May 15, 2011

Molaskey's Pub (05.15.11)

Other than some unexpected weirdness to start the day, my show at Molaskey's was terrific.



I'll make a very long story short: Molaskey's Pub had been sold, and the new owner had hired a bunch of well-known SL musicians to perform at the grand re-opening today. This morning, less than two hours before my show, the artists were informed (by the original Molaskey's staff) that the new owner had backed out of the deal at the last second. The new owner, who had hired the musicians to perform today, didn't even bother notifying us that the grand re-opening was not going to happen. In fact, at least in my case, she never said anything at all. Just didn't show up; she contracted with six artists and then blew everyone off completely.

That left me in a very uncomfortable situation. I'd already invited all of the Zaksters and a good number of other people who I thought might like to be there to support v.2 of Molaskey's from the start. Also, I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to the folks who've run Molaskey's for the last four years, and didn't want to leave them hanging either.

So, we musicians did the show despite having been stiffed by the supposed new owner who hired us to perform. I don't want to harp on this matter, but it was a thoroughly classless thing to do. Even under the worst of circumstances, and I do not proclaim to have any idea why she pulled out of the purchase of Molaskey's, the least she could have done was sent a mass message to the artists who were scheduled to play there to let them know she wouldn't be able to pay for their services. Something as small as that would have changed everything. But as of now (Sunday night), I still haven't heard back from her. Nothing. No apology, no explanation... nothing. I will tell you straight up that under no circumstances will I do business with this person again, and I'd highly advise anyone else in the SL music community to do the same. Or at least have her pay you up front. It only seems right, given her amazingly dishonorable actions in this regard.

Back to the Happy
Now that that's off my chest, I'm happy to say that today's show at Molaskey's -- likely the last one ever at that place, unless someone else comes in to keep it rolling -- was fantastic. Due to the efforts of Katydid Something and the other former staffers, along with people like my wonderful manager Maali Beck, we had a terrific crowd of lively music fans. I pulled out two songs I'd never before played in SL, one cover and one original, and all in all felt like the show went extraordinarily well, especially considering the circumstances described above.

As I said... despite all the bullshit, it was a great show, thanks to the original Molaskey's crew.



Last time rocking Molaskey's? Hope not, but if that's the case, we went out with a bang. Top photos by Kat, bottom photo by Triana.



Molaskey's Set List...
*Radio Free Europe (REM)
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
Perfect Girl (Zak Claxton)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
*Broken Day (Zak Claxton)
Any Major Dude (Steely Dan)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Free Man in Paris (Joni Mitchell)
Love Hurts (Everly Brothers)
Old Man (Neil Young)
Tribute (Tenacious D)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)

*Indicates the first time I've played this song in SL.

Huge thanks to the folks who supported my show today... especially the amazing staff of Molaskey's!
Triana Caldera, Alexis Fairlady, katherine Langer, Kimmey, Diana Renoir, Kat Claxton, Crap Mariner, my manager Maali Beck, and the Molaskey's team of Katydid Something, Cicadetta Stillwater, Mia Kitchensink!

2 comments:

Sue Mahar / Nasus Dumart in SL said...

Thanks for the write-up, Zak. As it turns out, Molaskey's Pub will continue as long as we have the support of the community. We have adjusted the schedule, allowing us to spend much needed weekend time with family and friends, which was one of the reasons we were looking to pass the torch, PLUS we now have a sponsor, which solved the problem of funding the events.

We will be busy with this summer's RL musician meet-ups and the SLCC, keeping to a summer schedule of just 4 hours of Live Music a week at the Pub. By the fall, we hope to have other sponsors approach us and add more hours of fun events to the schedule.

Thanks for your love and encouragement!

Zak Claxton said...

I'd already heard this great news, Nasus. I'm looking forward to playing there again sometime soon. :)