Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coyote (08.28.10)



An interesting observation from yesterday's show at COYOTE: when you hold a show at a venue where you only have events once every six months or so, it's hard to scare up a crowd. People tend to go where they've been before, and that's as true in the physical world as it is in the virtual. You go to a place once that's fun or interesting in some way, and it becomes a hangout, whether it's a coffee shop in real life, or a forum or sim while you're online.

Anyway, that's all a good preamble/excuse as to why we had about 5-6 people who came by the show yesterday. COYOTE is a club that Kat and I own in SL, and is criminally underused. In fact, it was through the realization that the last event we held there was in December 2009 that we decided to schedule a Zak Show for Saturday. However, being that it was on a Saturday (with roughly 75 other live music events happening at the same time), and it was at a place almost no one has heard of, we didn't exactly have a packed house.

Is there anybody out there? At least Aurelie and Diana, apparently.


Despite that, I actually had a great time, since it gave me an excuse to pull out a batch of songs that I haven't been able to perform in ages. Since Kat, Diana, and Aurelie come to so many of my shows, and most of them have lately had me exclusively performing my original music, I decided to give them a shot of variety by throwing down a ton of covers, and weird ones at that. In fact, I only did a few of my tunes on request. Who know what I might have played otherwise? Not me.

Coyote Set List...

Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
Rock and Roll Woman (Buffalo Springfield)
We Are The Champions (Queen)
What I Got (Sublime)
*On The Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)
Nowhere Man (Beatles)
Six Underground (Sneaker Pimps)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
Tribute (Tenacious D)
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
†50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (The Police)

*Indicates the first time I've performed this song in SL.
†I've only played this once before in SL, on June 9, 2008.


Thanks to Diana Renoir, Aurelie Chenaux, Shellie Sands, my darling Kat, and the few other people who popped by the show! It was fun. Sparse, but fun.

No comments: