Friday, August 7, 2009

Ambrosia Dance Club (08.07.09)




I'll tell you up front: I had a good time playing at Ambrosia Dance Club today. It was my first time performing there, and I did have fun. But did you ever have that feeling when you walk into a place for the first time... say, a party, or an office building, or a store... and immediately realize that you were in the midst of a scene of which you are definitely not fitting in? Like one of those "What's wrong with this picture?" puzzles, and you're the odd component?

That was pretty much me at Ambrosia today. It's a beautiful club, the people were very nice, and the crowd was pretty good; I think we had 30+ in the audience. The problem is that at a dance club, it's best to have a show that's focused on danceable music, with drums and so on. While my solo acoustic stuff seemed to be enjoyed there, it probably wasn't the best fit for the place. Luckily, I had a few of my favorite Zaksters in the crowd -- namely Triana, Diana, and Aurelie -- and so I felt a little better doing my usual ZakShow™.

I'll tell ya what: if I heard that the regular crowd at Ambrosia dug my show and wanted me back, I'd be glad to give it another shot. I would say, though, that perhaps the ZakShow™ works best when people are more about grooving to the tunes than, well... actually dancing. :D

Set List Du Jour
You're Like a Cloud (Zak Claxton)
One (U2)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
This Afternoon (Zak Claxton)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who)
Fade Away (Zak Claxton)
Loser (Beck)
Everything Counts (Depeche Mode)
Come Around (Zak Claxton)
Help Me (Joni MItchell)
Losing My Religion (REM)

Thanks to the following people who helped support my show today!
Triana Caldera, Shellie Sands, Spikie Thorne, Ictus Belford, Scotty Femto, princess Shuffle, Willow Larkin, Diana Renoir, Lorellai Kondor, ivoni Miles, Aurelie Chenaux, and Ambrosia owner Phil Kearny!

No comments: