Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Grand opening of The Galleria (08.11.08)

My second show of August 11 (see below for the first) was the grand opening of a new music venue, The Galleria. This is a place owned by Signey Gustafson, who I met in a way that was a little different than most of my other musical contacts in SL. While I've been introduced to the majority of venues I play through someone having seen me at a different venue, Signey met me by becoming interested in my visual art -- the graphic artistry that I do as a sideline to my music stuff in SL. She hired me to exhibit at an art showing, and I mentioned to her that I was a musician as well. As a result, she saw me play last week, and then hired me to perform at her grand opening.

Funny side note: I always seem to end up playing around the same times/places as Ictus Belford. I had to laugh about Monday's schedule, which had Ictus playing at the Galleria at 4:00, me playing at Crystal Sands at 5:00, Ictus playing at Crystal Sands at 6:00, and me playing at The Galleria at 7:00. Yikes!

I'd met many of the audience members at The Galleria the day before, at the opening to my art exhibit. That was kind of nice, since most times I'm playing a new place, I get a room full of strangers with the exception of my small fan base. And while I wasn't exactly the center of attention there the whole time -- it was Signey's opening, and she and her friends were having fun chatting amongst themselves -- it seemed that everyone appreciated the tunes, and I liked being able to introduce my music to a range of new folks. All in all, it was fun, and worth the effort of doing two shows in three hours.


Zak strums away at The Galleria.


People having fun and stuff.


Signey shakes her booty.


Doubledown Tandino, one of the only people that can be silly enough to make me respond to them while I'm playing. All photos courtesy of my darling Kat.

Song Sample: "Ashes to Ashes" (David Bowie)

And here's what I played!
Help Me (Joni Mitchell)
The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie/Nirvana)
Six Underground (Sneaker Pimps)
Fire & Rain (James Taylor)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Thanks Anyway (Zak Claxton)
Sex & Candy (Marcy Playground)
Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
Carey (Joni Mitchell)
Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
Falling Down (Zak Claxton)
Behind Blues Eyes (the Who)

Thanks to the nice people who supported my show!
Ictus Belford, Aphrodite Whiteberry, Kat Claxton, Rik Zwiers, Wannahave Ferraris, Bruce Dyszel, Elphie Broome, Carlton Nestler, Rob Watts, and most of all, Signey Gustafson!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awesome show, and I'm really diggin the venue, The Galleria.

I'm loving that you're posting your setlist. Really sorry I missed your sneaker pimps cover, I showed up late, but would love to hear your 6 underground sometime.